
As I've been pondering what the past five-going-on-six weeks of my Creativity & Innovation class at Queens University of Charlotte have truly been about and what I've accomplished with this blog, the one word that keeps coming to mind is discovery. As listed in our course syllabus, this blog was part of our "connectivity project." The purpose: to build and track connectivity and idea generation surrounding a topic or project about which you have passion." I'm definitely passionate about writing, so there was no doubt that writing was going to be the theme of this blog. But in reading my very first post, I realize that what I had initially intended this blog to be did not come to fruition. Each week, I intended to explore a different aspect of the professional writing process - from the writing itself to editing and publishing, branding and marketing, even book jacket design. I intended to connect with resources who were experts on these topics and build my community. While I completed much research on all of these aspects of writing professionally and did make some connections, this process became more about self discovery, which is the real step one and an essential step in continuing to move forward and seriously pursue my passion. For me, this has been my "discovery project."
Up until a few weeks ago, I only shared my writing with a very select group of people who are my family and closest friends. My writing style is totally me, but that means it's very authentic, honest and personal, and putting those pieces of me out in the universe for the whole world to read made me feel extremely vulnerable. However, I realize that I have to be willing to expand and share my own world in order to build, connect and grow. The amazing support of my #639create classmates encouraged me to take that first leap (and it was a leap), and I made my personal blog public. Last week, in honor of Father's Day, I wrote a blog about my dad, who tragically passed away in 1995 when I was 20 years old. I have never shared such a personal, tender piece of writing. Usually those writings are reserved for my journal, which is for my eyes only. Interestingly, that blog post has had the most reads of all the blogs I've posted between both this blog and my personal blog, and I believe it's because it is such a reflection of who I am at my core - that's where I connect. I've discovered my true voice and it lives in my heart. I was so comforted by the caring, gentle, kind words from people who read my post and were touched and was incredibly moved by some of the stories people shared with me, either about their memories of my dad or in reminiscing about their fathers.
I have learned more than I could have imagined and more than I can put into words in the past five weeks. I am certain that I am still processing the experiences I have had in Creativity & Innovation and that they will resonate with me for a long, long time. I am discovering and re-discovering myself, yet still searching. I feel grounded, yet free. I am taking in the world and taking on the world. I believe. My wings are fluttering. I'm in the perfect place to create.
What or who has encouraged and inspired you to take a leap?
Thank you, Lisa. I lost my Dad suddenly this past February, and your blog was especially poignant for me...just before Father's Day.
ReplyDeleteFlutter on, sistah!
Your experience in writing resonates with me. While it has been part of an assignment, its really something more. I now try to observe things differently and while I try to write with a particular audience in mind, I find that I write because its actually nice to have a place to express yourself. For me, that is totally new and not anything I would have expected. Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post and this blog, Leasa. Your writing and openness are inspiring. Thank you for inspiring ME!
ReplyDeleteLeasa--I am so happy to be home, in my kitchen and reading your blog. You have such an incredible way of reaching through the internet and touching your viewers in a way that moves her/him to tears, laughter, reflection...you name it, you've got it. In addition to inspiring me to appreciate the world during the flash of time we get to live here, you have helped me become intentional in inspiring others to follow your example. I am so very blessed to know you and see the world through your creative and inspiring eyes. Thank you.
ReplyDelete