Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Inspired


Last night, my Creativity and Innovation class (shout out to #639create) met at Area Fifteen in the NODA district of Charlotte (http://areafifteen.com). I had no idea what to expect, as I had not heard of Area Fifteen prior to last night, but nothing could have prepared me for the experience while there. I was absolutely overwhelmed with inspiration. I got lost in the space - not literally, but figuratively speaking. There are such simple needs in this world, such small things we can do to nurture the human spirit, and it's amazing what happens when we open our hearts and our minds to the simple and the small. "The little things? The little moments? They aren't little." ~John Zabat-Zinn

I've been so focused on the topic of writing and the act of writing itself since I declared to the world that writing is my passion. While it's necessary to focus on my dream and my passion and to dig even deeper, I think that sometimes doing so distracts me from the very thing I am trying to focus on. I've felt overwhelmed at times by how much there is to learn. I've felt insecure that my writing won't be good enough to consider being published. I've felt scared that I won't be able to expand my writing beyond my Dear Diary Moments, that when the pressure to write professionally becomes real, I will lose my voice. Last night at Area Fifteen, I learned that it's important for me to also focus on other creative outlets, like painting, for example. Writing has always been my creative outlet, but I realize that the more pressure I feel to produce, the less of an outlet it can become. So, I need additional means with which to nurture my creativity, which will always keep me centered and inspired and create space for my emotions and thoughts, which will eventually spill onto paper and fulfill my writing.

Until last night, I had never painted. When I first heard that we were going to paint, I must admit, I felt nervous. My mind was blank. What could I possibly paint that would be as beautiful as the artwork I had already seen at Area Fifteen? Standing outside at Area Fifteen, surrounded by both blank canvases and amazing artwork, I felt overwhelmed - overwhelmed by possibility. As soon as I was standing in front of my very own canvas with lots of paint brushes and huge jars of paint in a rainbow of colors, I didn't hesitate for a moment. I dipped my brush in pastel turquoise blue paint and scrawled the word "dream" across my clear canvas. Suddenly, I was lost in a whole new world. For the next 30 minutes, the inspiration kept coming in huge waves and suddenly I was dipping my brush in green and blue and pink and white and yellow paint, bringing my vision to life. My mind was calm, content, quiet. It wasn't until I was in Lil Jetta driving home that I realized how much space painting had cleared in my mind - space for my creative dreams to grow, space for my passionate wings to flutter. I started to cry and laugh at the same time, because I felt so free. It was a moment of clarity.

I'm going to Michael's tonight to stock up on canvases, an easel and paint supplies. Writing remains my passion, but painting is a wonderful companion to my writing. I can't wait to discover more creative outlets and new experiences on this journey!

What are your creative outlets or how do you "clear the clutter" in your mind so you can create space for your dreams?

4 comments:

  1. So touched, L. I love this story and how the event moved you. YOU ALL are the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was moved in a similar way. I have an ex who is a painter and he was going to teach me how to paint. We're not in contact much anymore, but I was thinking of him as I was painting. Honestly, it was a little emotional, which was a complete surprise to me. I sent him a picture of it today.

    I loved last night!

    Thom Shepard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leasa you continue to move me with your words. Last night was incredible. As I was driving home last night, I couldn't help but think of the homeless and struggling individuals who so desparately need Area 15 in order to clear their heads and memories that must exist as they struggle to cope with surviving on the streets. Thank God for Area 15. What a wonderful program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great ability to transfer your thoughts onto paper, whether its the written word or a canvas. It is incredibly honest which is its strength.

    ReplyDelete